We make greener choices every day!
The Avenue Hair Studio belongs to the Sustainable Salons program. They rescue up to 95% of salon resources from landfill and finds repurposing solutions that benefit the environment and give back to our community.
- The program has hundreds of salon members (and growing!) in the hairdressing, beauty and pet-grooming sectors across Australia and New Zealand as part of the journey to zero waste.
- Sustainable Salons provides our salon with separation bins and outside collection bins for fortnightly collection service.
- Plastic packaging is sent to specialist local plastics recyclers where it’s cleaned and made into outdoor furniture and new product packaging, keeping it in circulation and out of our oceans!
- All aluminium, foil, colour tubes, cardboard, paper, magazines, razor blades, unwanted tools and select disposables are sold for recycling, and the proceeds from our salon are donated to KiwiHarvest to provide meals for hungry people. A full head of foils provides a quarter of a meal to someone in need!
- Hair clippings are collected from the salon floor and stuffed into stockings to make Hair Booms that will help clean up oil spills along our coastlines! Hair is also repurposed in local community gardens for composting or used in sustainable art installations to educate the community.
The Avenue Hair Studio collects ponytails 20cm or longer are sent to a charitable organisation to create wigs for those suffering from cancer or alopecia. Sustainable Salons is the largest donor of ponytails in the Southern Hemisphere!
- Sustainable Salons is the first company to recycle excess chemicals in the salon industry. These are pooled and sent to chemical recycling plants where they’re neutralised and turned into recycled water used in roadworks and construction.
- In partnership with Endeavour Foundation, Sustainable Salons is creating stronger futures for people with a disability by providing purposeful work within our material collection and processing streams. Supported Employees head out on the road with trained staff members to collect resources from salons in several areas across our network, while another team sorts and processes the materials for repurposing!
- Sustainably-minded solutions are promoted to help our salon make greener choices! Via Rewards Points, we can access environmentally-friendly options for everyday salon products, such as eco cleaning products, recycled toilet paper, biodegradable coffee pods, recycled foil, biodegradable towels, biodegradable gloves and more!
THE SUSTAINABLE SALONS FOOTPRINT
The Sustainable Salons Network is committed to reducing its ecological footprint, supporting charitable causes and implementing environmentally-sustainable practices in all that we do. Here’s what we’ve achieved on our journey to zero waste!*
- 52,000kg of plastic kept in circulation and out of landfill
- 70,800kg of paper recycled
- 81,700kg of metals diverted from landfill
- 7,500 litres of excess chemicals recycled back into water
- 7.1 tonnes of hair collected for The Hair Boom Project
- 25,300 ponytails collected resulting in 1,265 wigs for cancer and alopecia sufferers
- 48,000 meals provided for the homeless via OzHarvest
- Saved the same amount of CO2 as 180 flights from Sydney to London
- Recycled 800kg of e-waste, reducing the amount of raw materials mined and preventing toxins from leaching into the environment
- Saved enough water to fill 248,620 baths
*This information reflects Sustainable Salons activities from Feb 2015 – Nov 2017.